Sunday, June 2, 2013

Betrayed

Two days ago, the woman who had served as my advocate during the formal complaint process (for charges I brought against my former pastor for clergy sexual abuse and misconduct) gave me a call.  We chat periodically, so I cheerfully answered the phone.  But she was somber and apologetic ... and I remember hearing her voice telling me that she slipped and gave my name to another woman at that church who was pestering her for info regarding the pastor's dismissal.  

She was horrified.  

I was horrified.

I didn't let it show.  My mouth formed the It's okay words in response to her confession.  But the truth is, it's anything but okay.

My name was never to be mentioned.  Never.  Ever.  It was a breach of trust, a breach of confidence, a breach of safety.

And now it's in the ears of one of the biggest gossips in that church.

It never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment